The recording of early Methodism in Woodford can be traced to 1808. This was a meeting place only. No firm records exist before 1820.
In 1820 a chapel was registered at Farndon Mill which by 1861 was reported to be in a dangerous condition.
In 1842 a Primitive Methodist Chapel was registered in Hinton but 5 years later this had disappeared. Registration of places of worship was required by law following the Toleration Act of 1689 concerning dissenters.
In 1862 an old malthouse was being used as the first Wesleyan Chapel in Hinton which, in about 1876, was moved to Mr Johnson’s yard.
The first purpose-built chapel emerged in 1879 with a stone tablet remembering Farndon Mill placed inside.
With the coming of the railway the population of Woodford-cum-Membris swelled and the chapel accommodation proved too small. The present chapel opened in 1902 costing £1300 and seating 270.